FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Coffee With A New Friend

Today I had a coffee with a friend who is facing Alzheimer's withF her father. In the beginning, most of us go through this alone until it is time to reach out or until it gets so bad that it feels beyond our comprehension and/or control.

So I was happy to be able to be a good listener and to offer some advice, free for the taking. I think just having someone to talk to is helpful if only to hear yourself admit what you already are thinking, what you already know, what you fear.

A big part of my advice was that in many ways fear has no place in dealing with Alzheimer's. It isn't productive, it doesn't solve any of the problems that will arise, and very often many of the things you could have allowed yourself to fear DO NOT HAPPEN. 

How does one overcome fear? I don't know how I did it, but in some ways having confidence in myself, enlisting the moral support of family and friends, looking at my successes, being grateful for the good stuff still left, trying not to feel perfect and by not feeling too guilty when I wasn't ... and by deep, deep breathing.

I found meditation helpful in letting me "escape from myself and my voices" so I could hear the comforting words of the universe sooth me. I knew a lot about meditation (or thought I did) and just berated myself for not just "locking myself in my darkened closet and doing it!" 

One day my massage therapist introduced me to a woman who she felt would do me some good. I signed up with this woman for meditation classes, previously not having realized that one needs to be taught how to meditate, that in fact part of the practice of meditation requires one to HAVE A TEACHER to support and guide you. What I learned with Corinne, in many ways, has saved my life -  or at least given me a more peaceful one!

Even though each of us on the giving side of Alzheimer's and those on the receiving side of Alzheimer's (read any type of dementia,) go through this insidious disease in a way that is as unique as the individual personalities involved, there are many things which we have in common: dealing with fear, the unknown, disbelief, unwanted and unexpected change, difficult often unilateral decisions, somehow getting through this to the other side - whether it be in this life or the next.

In an e-mail that my friend sent thanking me for my time today, I replied:

You are very welcome! As I said, it will get worse but it will get better. You will run into obstacles you cannot foresee but the solutions will find you. You know in your deepest heart what you want for you dad and you will be able to do it as the time comes.

With your dad's "aggressiveness" you may run into complications but I understand him to not be physically violent. There are drugs to help with this. Most places will want to do an evaluation of your dad before making any commitments. 

Something else I did not mention is that there is no such thing as telling a lie when it comes to Alzheimer's. Any reply, true or false, is meant to pacify the person with dementia ... truth does not matter. Believe me I have learned to "lie" to Gregory. But then again, what is a lie? An embelishment? An exageration? A half truth? An omission? Someone else's point of view? NO ONE IS JUDGING.

A "visiting friend from college" can really be the psychologist who is observing and prescribing. The "car breaking down and not being able to afford a new one" can easily help solve the problem of a person dealing with no longer being able to drive.

When Gregory gets upset or depressed or angry and is unable to explain why, I go into my "Everything is OK. I have taken care of everything. You have nothing to worry about. You just have to be happy. I have lined everything up that needs to happen. It is all taken care of. No need to worry. I love you. You love me." MANTRA. And guess what, Gregory is able to calm down. I had no idea what was bothering him and he doesn't know that but he trusts that I have taken care of everything, and even not knowing what it was, I probably have! That's what comes with loving someone for over 39 years!

1 comment:

  1. I am grateful that you are in the world, Michael.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!