FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Monday, February 4, 2013

Conundrum

conundrum |kəˈnəndrəm|noun ( pl. conundrums )a confusing and difficult problem or question: one of the most difficult conundrums for the experts.• a question asked for amusement, typically one with a pun in its answer; a riddle.ORIGIN late 16th cent.: of unknown origin, but first recorded in a work by Thomas Nashe, as a term of abuse for a crank or pedant, later coming to denote a whim or fancy, also a pun. Current senses date from the late 17th cent.While I chose this title to refer to the conundrum I found myself in today, it also fits into what I would call "The Riddle of Alzheimer's."After struggling with helping Gregory to select his clothes every morning for what has been at several months, I came to the conclusion that I should take over the responsibility. Because Gregory has such difficulties with word and item associations, my verbal explanations (although simple) and prompts were not helping. Even taking him into the closet and pointing at an item didn't help.For example this morning he had on undershirt and underpants and was holding his belt, knowing something was wrong. I prompted, "You need pants." He went into the closet, opened his drawer and began taking out a second pair of underpants. "How many pair of underpants do you need?" (Poorly asked question, slap my hand.) So he put back the second pair and began taking off the first pair.By the time I just took a pair of pants off the hanger and handed them to him, he was totally uncertain what he had to do next. "Put these on." That worked. Next, while he knew he needed the belt next, he fumbled with figuring out how to get it on. I had to thread it through the loops for him. I stopped "interfering" to see if he could pick up from here but with sox in hand, he pointed to his feet and said, "Something needs to go here." "Yes, sox." So he got up, went into the closet and got a second pair of sox. Before he could try putting on both pair, I took one and put it back in the drawer. He was able to select his shoes and put them on, today, and successfully after the sox were on. "Would it just be easier if I selected your clothes for you in the morning?" I asked gently. "You have been struggling with this for a long time and when I try to help, it doesn't seem to work."He thought for a short while and replied, "Yes. I think it would make it easier for me." He said this in a docile, earnest way. No anger, no frustration, no resentment, no loss. Obviously it was not the answer I wanted (although I knew it was the right answer) because I still want him to try to work through things. But his answer was much better then one of confusion, anger, frustration.It was the right answer because by now it was more than obvious that we were in a "loose/loose" situation. My help wasn't helping. If my "taking over" made him feel bad, it fit into the "Feel bad now or feel bad later" category. By my taking over, I will not get frustrated or short with him. I will easily be able to avoid snide or negative or resentful remarks (which I try keep to myself anyway but with which I do not always succeed.)The conundrum is that if I decide to "take over" at least there will be a predictability and a follow through for me but with him not having to work through getting dressed, he will loose the skill completely. Feel bad now or feel bad later?I will begin making the bed right when we get up so I can lay his clothes out in the right order without a rumpled bed to confuse him. I have velcroed the closet doors closed so he will not be tempted to dress himself, or get another pair of pants even thought I have put a pair on the bed for him. (Keeping everyone out of the closet but myself will also help with the recent problem of our new kitties chewing up our shoelaces.)As in the past, down the road I will ask Gregory if he would like to try taking the job of selecting his clothes back again. Sometimes he does and is successful. Other times he does and is NOT successful. Sometimes he just relinquishes the job calmly saying, "No thank you."The riddle is that maybe this new procedure will work, maybe not. Maybe it will work today but not tomorrow or maybe tomorrow but not the next. Just laying out his clothes every morning does not insure that he will be able to dress himself, remember to put everything on, and in the correct order. But as in the past, I will be ready to move on to the next conundrum, the next riddle, the next solution, or not.riddle 1 |ˈridl|nouna question or statement intentionally phrased so as to require ingenuity in ascertaining its answer or meaning, typically presented as a game.• a person, event, or fact that is difficult to understand or explain: the riddle of her death.
ORIGIN Old English rǣdels, rǣdelse opinion, conjecture, riddle; related toDutch raadsel,German Rätsel, also to read.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!