FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Companion Report # 2 by B.P.


I started working with Greg about nine months ago. Since our companionship's beginning, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with Greg. We share similar dispositions and temperaments and a common taste in music and film. Perhaps greatest of all, we share an ability to sit quietly in one another's company, each of us occupied separately. Many others would find this uncomfortable or awkward, but I think we both find it one of the more enjoyable ways to share another's company. When I began visiting Greg, he seemed fairly stable, at a plateau in his degeneration. However, in nine months there have been deteriorations both significant and insignificant.

More often than not, I work with Greg during the middle part of the day, beginning in the later morning and leaving around the middle afternoon or early evening. For several months, Greg would often make himself a salad for lunch, and I would assemble a sandwich for myself. I would occasionally have to help him in some small capacity: he  might need help finding the forks or removing and reinserting the vegetable crisper/drawer from the refrigerator (cumbersome for anybody). It's been months since I've seen Greg make himself salad. Nowadays, he is content for me to make him an open-faced sandwich (very very simple fare). It's worth noting that his salads often included some small part of decoration. It was never anything elaborate, but slices of cheese or rolled up sandwich meat were placed with a certain amount of care and consideration. The "meals" I create contain no such consideration. But he seems satisfied. He still retains his ability to use a cutting knife, though I keep a close eye at all times.

Greg loves to take a walk when I visit. This shared activity forms the core of my time with Greg. It is difficult to judge any significant changes in his directional abilities as we take the same basic route as my very first day with him. While he is tired by the end of these walks, he always seems happy for having gone out, despite the elements. In all honesty, he seems a little more lucid after our walks. I still wonder if this has anything to do with his great affinity for water and our route's proximity to the lake.

On the note of water, another of Greg's preferred activities is swimming. We haven't gone swimming in a month or so, owing to the pool's closure while the heating is fixed. When we have swum, there has been a very similar effect to walking. Greg seemed far happier and again, a little more lucid after a good swim. He usually needed no real help showering, though I would have to start the shower and get out his soap. Once, he forgot to wash the soap out of his hair, but otherwise this process went without hiccups. When we were in the locker room, I would often have to help Greg change. Usually this simply involved pointed directions and occasionally me either offering him some article of clothing or gently tugging on the said clothing. He has thoroughly enjoyed our swims and has brought up his dismay at not being able to swim on multiple occasions.

When we are in the apartment after our walk or swim, my direct involvement in helping Greg with things is minimal. I might have to help him with his belt or tucking in his shirt on occasion, but that's about it. Every now and then, we'll watch a movie. This is throughly enjoyable for the both of us and involves little effort on either of our parts. Greg thoroughly enjoys simply sitting around listening to music or reading his newspaper while I work on whatever homework or projects I might have.

The most noticeable of Greg's deteriorations have manifested in his linguistic capabilities. He can still read. I can tell as much because he can select something from his menu when we go out to his favorite diner. Often though, Greg might forget what he chose, and I always have to help specify what sides he'll have and how he'd like his eggs. I have no way of telling how much he picks up from his daily newspaper as he never talks about it and can't really communicate anything when asked. What is most apparent is his steady decrease in speech and conversation. I remember the very first day that we spent together, Greg pointed out a building during our walk: "See it's French." I asked how he could tell, and he replied by pointing out the "rounds" on the windows. He has never since displayed such lucidity and clarity in perception and communication. A month or two later, when we were driving back from Wisconsin, he pointed out a building that I liked, and I asked what he liked about it. Greg could barely get his point across, and in the end mentioned something about the upper floor and that was that.

When Greg has a problem or needs help, I have to work a bit to figure out what exactly is wrong. Usually this means me being patient and offering a guess or two. I try not to guess, but it's difficult not to. When I do guess, the helpfulness seems arbitrarily dependent on the word choice. If he recognizes the word in question, Greg's eyes will light up and the problem is quickly confirmed. If not, we'll go several more rounds.

One final note: Greg's muscle memory still seems to be quite intact. He's still remarkably adept at opening the door which actively involves remembering what key to use and how to orient it to the door. Just like anything else, this is affected by his good days and bad days, but the process seems more resilient. Once he gets the key into the lock, you can almost see the engram click into place, and his hand turns in an easy practiced motion.

Many of Greg's abilities have declined, there has been significant and noticeable deterioration since our relationship began. I would not characterize it as severe. He retains many of his physical abilities. Given enough time and a relaxed situation Greg can usually figure things out. He is still relatively young to be diagnosed with Alzheimer's , and quite young to have had it for ten years now. But I have to say that in comparison, a great many things could be much worse. In all honesty, I would largely attribute this to his acceptance of the disease. My grandmother was also diagnosed with Alzheimer's and our family always had to be exceptionally careful about how her diagnosis was discussed. She was severely embarrassed about her illness and hated for it to be talked about. Greg is not so embarrassed. True, he does not often bring it up, and he is never happy about it, but there is a far greater acceptance of the situation. This makes many things easier: helping him with his coat/scarf/gloves/etc, gently telling him where to sit or what to do. In essence, when I first started working with Greg it seemed almost too good to be true: an easy job with someone whose company I enjoyed that paid well. Steadily though, it has become more apparent why I get paid to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!