FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Meditation

Session five.

Spent more time today on emotions, session intention, and heartfelt life desires. I won't be able to be too articulate about this session because I WAS GONE. For the full 40 or so minutes. I was able to reach a deeply meditative state away from day to day activities which often are hassles especially at this holiday season. Was able to get away from Gregory as a main focus and spend some quality time with myself. All kinds of little awarenesses came and went but none dominated or distracted my relaxed meditative state. It felt good.

My intention was to be better able to take care of myself in whatever ways are necessary. "I take care of myself."

My heartfelt desire was HAPPINESS. "I am happy."

Interestingly enough I did spend a little time thinking about those activities which I would usually attribute to my responsibilities and immense love for Gregory. I realized that those very "requests," summarized by the term HAPPINESS, all had to do with me! For example being supportive of Gregory in a loving, even, patient way provide me with peace of mind and therefore happiness. So Gregory definitely benefits, but those actions add to my feeling of happiness.

I visited my "internal resource," which I have mentioned previously. It is deep in a mature forest, with a clearing with dappled sunlight and flowers, and just across a path my tiny house just big enough for one. Today I added a rustic bench to the garden. About a block away at the edge of the forest is the ocean with the waves that can be heard through the house's windows or while sitting in the garden. Corinne suggested we give our "internal resource" a name so we can use it as a trigger to the inner peace and safety one feels there. I called it, "Peace."

We revisited the ability to "Welcome" emotions, to recognize "Emotional Fusing" and to be able to de-fuse. Welcoming means that as human beings we WILL experience emotions, some good some disturbing. By recognizing that fluxuation of the emotions one can invite the disturbing ones in, wonder about them, deal with them, "ask them" that they are seeking from you, and finally ask them out.

Fusing deals with the occasions in which the emotions totally take you over, like being so angry you "see red" or you "rage" or can't stop crying. By realizing that you are fused with the difficult emotion, you can accept it but then begin to release and back away and defuse from it. We all get "fused" periodically, but better to be aware of the "fusion" than to be lost or trapped in it without awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!