FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Friday, December 28, 2012

Always Thinking

Well one of us can still think, communicate, problem solve ... and thanks for that. It makes both of our lives much easier although I have often wondered what life would be like if both people in a relationship had the big "A." Nothing would get done but boy would their days be interesting.

Often I know what Gregory wants to say before he can say it or when he isn't able to say it. Our friends marvel that I usually know what he is trying to communicate with few or no hints. He'll say something like, "I was thinking..." and then he gets hung up. I finish the sentence "that it would be nice to go to the Botanic Garden?" "Right," he says with a feeling of accomplishment.

I recently solved a problem he has been having. Every morning one of the first things Gregory does is shave. He uses an electric razor which presents various problems. First you have to think about what you are looking for, next you have to remember where your razor is located, then you open the cabinet and take out the Norelco, continuing you plug in the cord, then you have to plug the cord into the wall, next you must remove the razor blade cover, almost finally you have to turn on the shaver, finally you must navigate your face with the razor, back and forth, until all (or most) of the beard is gone. Usually he does well with these skills. Sometimes I need to help but rarely although I have taken over the cleaning and oiling of the machine.

Now that you have the detailed picture, we move on to the problem. A man's beard, often, is indistinguishable from his sideburns. Slowly Gregory's sideburns have been disappearing. I need not go into detail as to why. His barber, I believe, in an effort to even them out ended up taking enough of the sideburns away so as to make Gregory look like he was living in the 1950's again or that he is a Gay Convict or in the Army. You know the look.

I find the look passable but unflattering so I told the barber that I would prefer that Gregory's sideburns NOT be "lifted" and discussed the issue with Gregory as well. Now, how to help him accomplish this task? I pointed out where his sideburns should be and during the pointing realized I probably was doomed. How would I solve this problem? For several mornings I reminded and showed him the geography contours that I hoped his sideburns would follow. Not too successful.

Finally I came up with a solution. Glasses. I had saved a pair of 3-D movie glasses, punched out the plastic lenses, and showed Gregory that if he put the glasses on while shaving, he could "shave up to here." So far it has been working and I am very, if I must say so because no one else will, proud of myself.

Now I have to remember to remind him to put on the glasses but that is no big deal. Watching him try to put the glasses on backwards with the arms sticking out into space, or upside down with the bridge of the glasses resting directionally challenged on his nose, not only amuses me but also amuses him and are easily corrected dilemmas. Once on, the glasses not only solve OUR problem but they also make Gregory look quite intelligent!

Arn't you proud of me?


2 comments:

  1. Like I have said a dozen times before; Gregory is staying “with us” longer because of your creative and persistent methods. It’s official. I love you more. CM

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!