FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Monday, December 10, 2012

E-Mail to Friends


First, fun evening. I was afraid that 007 was going to be a little too "shoot em up" for G but he seemed to do well and said he enjoyed the movie. I did too although it has been along time since I've seen an "action film." In fact the last one was "Batman's Dark Knight Rising." G shook through most of the beginning and I was almost ready to leave but he settled down and we held hands through it. It was hard for me emotionally but now want to see it again on DVD because it was so complex that I think I probably missed a lot. In many ways it was very reflective of what life seems to be becoming. Probably true with 007. If you can imagine it, someone has done it.

Know I don't have to apologize ... but sorry the beginning of dinner got off to shaky start. Next time I think I'll sit next to G so I can help. Part of the problem is that you guys are not used to him, he is not used to your "speed," I am OVER protective, and obviously he did not do well with all of us trying to support him at the same time. 

You guys did well, I backed off a little, but had to ball him out a little and hope that wasn't too difficult for you to be involved in. I did appreciate his sense of humor but in some ways it is more of his becoming more and more of a child and me becoming more of a parent. 

His language is almost non-existant and besides confusing his words, like meaning YES but saying NO, he no longer understands or makes associations with most words. Before you arrived, he wasn't sure what else he needed to get dressed and looked quite dapper in his black shoes, sox, underpants with black belt, and undershirt. Try living your life like that:-) But we survive.

When we got upstairs after the movie, we had tea and cookies and then I told him to go get ready for bed and a shower and I would clean up the kitchen. Ten minutes later I headed to the bedroom and he is no where to be seen. I called out and he was in the TV room with the door closed. I asked what he was doing and he couldn't explain. I think he got "lost." When these short circuits take place we cannot discuss them because he has forgotten by the time I ask and cannot retrace his steps. He finally did say he was getting ready for bed. In the TV room?

Anyway, I know your lives are full but I do suggest you check out the Alzheimer's BLOG now and then to keep up with his progress and my coping abilities. We love you so and are grateful that you and yours are part of our life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!