FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Lotion Logistics

This morning he was rubbing his chin as though it was irritated from shaving. "Did you put lotion on your face after shaving?" I asked.

Sure enough he hadn't, so he got out the lotion, figured out how to take off the cap, poured a quarter size amount on his hand, spread it on both hands, and proceeded to work the lotion well into his hair.

When I reviewed this with him, he attempted again.

He poured a quarter size amount of lotion on his hand, spread it on both hands, and continued to work it well into his hands, front and back, and each finger until the lotion was completely absorbed.

When I reviewed this next phase with him, he got a little frustrated and confused. So I tried to explain, "The lotion is for your face because it is irritated after shaving."

As I said this I put my hands to my face by way of demonstration while at the same time thinking that I was probably only adding to his confusion by the fact that my face is bearded and his is not.

By now I am thinking that he probably doesn't remember what it is we are trying to do so I started over.

Why don't you put some lotion on your face. He again picked up the lotion bottle, figured again out how to take off the cap, poured a quarter size amount on his hand, spread it on both hands, looked up at me for approval, received it, and then put it on his face and rubbed it in.

Mission accomplished (but not easily and not without a lot of patience - probably on both of our parts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!