FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Being Aware

I have spent quite a lot of energy trying to explain what it is like to live with and love someone with Alzheimer's. I struggle and struggle to understand it and therefore the subject shows up a lot in my writing. Peter, my therapist says it cannot be explained, and although I know he is right, I keep trying.

I can give examples, of which there have been many in these blogs, but I still cannot put my finger on exactly what I am experiencing during these situations gone awry. Here is one more example. Gregory was sitting in the car and had put a carry bag on the floor between his feet. When we arrived at our destination, he unfastened his seat belt, opened the door, but then had some difficulty getting out of the car because of the carry bag.

He interpreted the difficulty to not having unfastened his seat belt so he began fumbling around to release it. He did find a belt, the one holding up his pants, so he began to take that off. I stopped him, took the bag from between his feet, and instructed "Now you can get out." At this stage of the disease, I don't try to explain to him what went wrong (and maybe I would be better off if I didn't try to explain to myself.)

While spending some time trying to answer this question once more with friend and Alzheimer's researcher Aaron and his wife Brady, I think I came closest to understanding why I am having such a hard time trying to explain what experiencing the disease from the caregiver side is like, what I go through in dealing with some of the "crazy" behaviors and interactions that Alzheimer's brings to our daily life.

What I finally understood is that one can only truly understand something that one can experience. Since I do not have Alzheimer's, I will never truly understand it because I cannot truly experience what it is like to have the disease. I can only experience it from the outside looking in. Also, the nature of Alzheimer's is that it invents itself as it goes along, not based on any rhyme or reason so how can one have a rational, reasonable grip on understanding it.

This nature of thinking and being and feeling takes place through the creation of a millions and millions of interconnected thoughts and experiences which when combined produce language, memory, behaviors, personality, emotions, etc. How any one individual combines those interconnected pieces will be different from the next so that pushes the possible combinations into infinity. One should marvel that communication and interaction between members of the species takes place at all.

So when the brain begins to collect plaque, when synapses get tangled, when associations and connections begin to short circuit or disappear, when the complex web that is thinking begins to misfire, when the many parts of what it took to learn have gone missing, when the integration of a person's personality begins to disintegrate ...  there is no way for the outsider (i.e. you or me) to really experience and therefore understand the manifestation of the disease.

With that said, I will probably continue to work at being as articulate and even lyrical as possible in my blog descriptions as I continue to search for understanding. That search will last long after Gregory is gone. Unless I leave first and then maybe I will be at peace in my search.

2 comments:

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!