FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Home for the Holidays

The holidays have always been an important part of our life. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve are the big ones. July 4th is important not only to our nation but it also is Gregory's birthday. He will be 63 next July. We try to celebrate all holidays with family and friends. Gregory still enjoys being with people and doesn't seem to mind crowds, so we "entertain big." 

Naturally I have taken over all of the responsibility for planning, shopping, preparing, and serving any meals or appetizers. We just recently had our housekeeper help at a large party, it worked well and helped me a lot. Gregory helps when possible with some of the prep, for example: peeling the potatoes, washing the vegetables, any easy repetitive activity. Also he will join me in the kitchen as I prepare, sitting on the stool at the counter and watching the process as we talk and share. 

During the parties I keep an eye on him to make sure he does not become overwhelmed by the activity or noise. If he does get upset, we go off to the bedroom for a while until he calms down. I'll ask him how he is doing and if he is having any difficulty I am able to suggest alternatives that might make it easier for him. We have never gotten into a situation where his behavior becomes inappropriate.

The biggest trick here is not to wear myself out with all the work involved in giving a party. I will try to do the food purchase and prep a day at a time to be ready by the end of the week when the party takes place. I plan a good but easy meal, let COSTCO or Trader Joe's do most of the work. At some point I might turn to a catering service.

When we do spend time at friends' or family's' homes, I am able to stay close in case he becomes disoriented or in need. Our family and friends are all very supportive of Gregory and his situation. I go out of my way to keep them informed of his "progress" and they do well in their communication, interactions, and expectations for Gregory. If necessary I am able to gently intervene and help him save face.

The good part of Christmas is that I have always purchased gifts for Gregory he has always alowed me to purchase gifts for myself FROM Gregory. So I know that I will still be getting some very great gifts, the ones that I ask Santa for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!