FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Feedback

This is an e-mail I received from a fellow "Ragdale Alum" in reply to the e-mail I sent after running into her at COSTO. Hearing comments like these in relation to shared journeys with Alzheimer's are so important to me. I hope that I too am able to remember to give love where ever I can. Thank you Angela for your kind words and please know that I am sending positive healing thoughts to your mom, your family, and to you.
Michael


Dear Michael,

It was lovely running into you even briefly. How nice that you were able to go to Susan's launch--Ragdale is such a wellspring for me and even brief visits fill me with calm and joy.  

Your dinner tonight sounds terrific; good luck with all that. Lucky guests!

I was at COSTCO to pick up a few last minute things for my trip to Manila this Wednesday.  I am going home to take care of my Mom for a few weeks.  She is 75 and was recently diagnosed with mixed dementia (a combination of Alzheimer's and vascular dementia). The progression of the disease the last few months has been quite rapid--we were just there last August to celebrate my parents' 50th wedding anniversary, and already she is a vastly different person. My dad, my brother, and his wife are getting caregiver burnout and I hope to offer them a little respite while there.  My dad has medical problems of his own and needs time and energy to care for himself for awhile.

I couldn't help noticing the link to your Alzheimer's blog below your note.  I did not know this about your partner and I was really sorry to learn of it.  But I am amazed at your compassion and steadfastness.  A quick look at your entries tells me there is much I can learn from you in dealing with my mom's condition.  Indeed, running into you was no accident, but rather an incident of grace.

Again, it was very nice seeing you and I do hope to see you at the Bros. K, poems in hand, one day in the near future.

All best,
Angela 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!