FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Flu Season II

An update. Gregory's fever finally broke this morning (without a trip to ER, thank you.) He is feeling much better as you will see in Manny's comments at the end of this post.

Meanwhile I had a talk with Lieberman's Fifth Floor head nurse director about Hospice. We had talked previously and she suggested that it is never too soon to get Hospice set up as there are many side benefits, some of which I will share at a later date.

Gregory and I have long been familiar with Hospice ever since he took training some 30 years ago and actually helped care for two people before he found a full time job and did not have time to volunteer.

He would help the caregiver(s) clean the house, go grocery shopping, help with cooking, or just sit will the ill family member so the caregiver could run errands, get away, or hide out and nap in the other bedroom.

Midwest Hospice has as it's mission: We support he whole person - body, mind, and spirit, with truly innovative world-class palliative care, hospice, and grief support. Giving you your best day, today! Imagine care differently!

In the past, Hospice was involved during the last week or month of a person's life to help them die comfortably and gracefully and to support the family as well. Now the services and time provided by Hospice has broadened.

After facing my decision to NOT send Gregory to the ER, as a staff doctor had recommended, I decided that this was a head's up to get Hospice going for Gregory. It is a difficult decision if only because it admits and accepts that he will die sooner rather than later.

Intellectually I accept this easily and will be able to make appropriate decisions as I am needed to. Emotionally is another story but I do not have to deal with that now as G is still fairly healthy and who knows when death will announce itself. No use in worrying about that which one cannot control.

Actually I feel a level of power and control over my life, Gregory's life, and over the situation having been able to make this decision. Hospice will provide needed services now and will be there when I need them the most at a later date. By then they will know me and know Gregory and will be part of our "family."

Meanwhile on a lighter note, here is verbatim, Manny's report on how Gregory is doing today as taken from his texts to me. Manny has a wicked sense of humor as demonstrated below.

Manny:
Greg ate full lunch n took  liquids normal amount ... awake all the time and serenely talking ... had a big fecal explosion at 2:45pm eroding all demonic plaques in his stommigo. 

Michael:
Your comments made me laugh out loud LOL. Thanks for the update.

Manny:
I mean it ... lol ... Ur welcome ... Y pleasure

Michael:
I can imagine that you do mean it! Just glad I wasn’t on the receiving end. And stinko! Did Gregory get the giggles?

Manny:
Smelled fantastic ... my spirit voluntarily transported to other realm

Michael:
Your spirit had no where else to go ...

Manny:
What do you expect with the lava n boulders ... browned by demonic possessions. I sprayed lavender room deodorant ... opened the window a short time ... didn't help!

Michael:
K and TKS

Manny:
K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!