FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Yoga Nidra

You have read previously about my experiences with mindful meditation and Yoga Nidra with Corinne Peterson. Today Gregory and I had another joint session with the focus on Gregory. I was just along for the ride. If the experience could provide Gregory a time and space away from his Alzheimer's, without having to think about it or cope or fight to bring a word or idea up to the surface for air, then the experience was worth while in my opinion. And both Corinne and I feel we were successful.

She led the meditation with great skill, understanding, and compassion. We started with some aroma therapy using a scent called "Joy." She gave Gregory ample time to process the simply stated suggestions like breathing in time to the going up and coming down of a ferris wheel (one of Gregory's favorite rides,) or taking a walk through a forest with the sun shining through the trees and periodic sightings of animals or hearing birds chirp. We looked at feelings of joy and sadness and back to joy so we could experience the full spectrum of emotions but leave on a positive note. She planted suggestions by which she could measure Gregory's involvement in the process and being able to connect language to action, for example: moving ones fingers and toes, opening and closing one's mouth, stretching, smiling. The session ended with gentle music and her gently ringing a bell five times.

Even though the meditation was not as deep or productive as I am usually able to achieve, for me just 30 minutes time out from life was worth participating in the experience. When Corinne was gently bringing us back to the meditation space and calling us back to awareness, I arrived earlier on purpose so I could see how Gregory was doing. The peaceful expression on his eyes-closed face, the relaxation in his body, brought tears to my eyes. Feeling that I had been able to help create and provide that experience for Gregory and the ease and joy with which he experienced the session made me want to weep but I held it to quiet tears.

When Corinne asked us how the session went, Gregory replied "Wonderful!" We will do this again sometime in August.

1 comment:

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!