FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Indelible

indelible |inˈdeləbəl|adjective(of ink or a pen) making marks that cannot be removed.• not able to be forgotten or removed: his story made an indelible impression on me.DERIVATIVESindelibility |-ˌdeləˈbilitē|noun,indelibly |-blē|adverbORIGIN late 15th cent. (as indeleble): from French, or from Latin indelebilis, from in- not + delebilis (from delere efface, delete). The ending was altered under the influence of -ible.
Recently, I experienced three indelible events.EVENT ONE: Gregory and I were at Northbrook Court to buy him a birthday gift and for lunch. My meal of pan fried, almond crusted chicken in a ginger and orange sauce was delicious. Gregory's lemon sautéed Sea Bass started out delicious.As usual, we each eat half, switch, and then enjoy another taste palate. It is fun to share meals. I was about half way through my half of Gregory's Bass when I took a bite that tasted like I had just sipped a shot of AMMONIA. I chewed a little more and had to spit it out quickly. It tasted so strongly of ammonia that I almost retched. Luckily we were at the end of the meal, paid the check, and left. Every time I thought of the taste I had experienced, my stomach did a summersault. In the car I ate a few cinnamon mints and that helped. For the rest of the evening, I felt a little off. I hadn't eaten enough to call it food poisoning but it left an indelible mark on my mind. I looked at the situation on google and this is what it said: It is also what their flesh produces in decay, so if they smell of ammonia it is either a sign of being unfresh, or in closed, unsanitary tanks (where they are so saturated with their own waste they smell of it) In either case, if you're in a restaurant, ammonia smelling fish is definitely a reason to send the dish back and take the chef de cuisine to task. Next time I will send it back even if it is at the end of the meal.EVENT TWO:Gregory and I had a massage last Friday. We drove to the location, arrived early, and parked for about 5 or 10 minutes. We were listening to the end of a classical piece on the radio when I noticed the air smelling a little rank. I accused Gregory of having farted but he denied it.When it was time for the massage we got out of the car, locked it up, and walked over to the massage appointment.As we returned to the car and I was about to open the door to let Gregory in on the passenger side, I noticed a dead rat at the curb right under the passenger door. It must have been 18-20 inches long counting the tail and 4 to 6 inches at belly wide. I told Gregory to wait on the sidewalk so I could back the car up and he could get in without having to step over the rat. Meanwhile the car had been sitting over this decomposing pile of dead rat for over two hours and in the time it took me to back the car up and open the windows I started to gag from the smell. Cinnamon mints to the rescue again. I felt a little "sick" for the rest of the afternoon. Not a nice way to spend a lovely afternoon of massage. Indelible. EVENT THREE:Gregory's Alzheimer's Disease. Enough said. Indelible!

2 comments:

  1. And three more--- friendship, love, generosity of spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, that is the conversation of a different post!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!