FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What Goes On In There?

I feel that I have a really good understanding of WHAT happens (or doesn't happen) in Gregory's brain that causes his outward appearances of Alzheimer's/Dementia. I have learned a lot by reading and on the Alzheimer's Association website including several on-line workshops provided there. I also have learned a lot from our neurologist and from a close family friend whose husband was diagnosed with ALZ about ten years earlier than Gregory.

What I have no grasp on is HOW at times the behaviors, actions, communications manifest themselves. I have put together the following way of describing it to those who ask. 

"At times I have absolutely no framework what-so-ever on which to hang an understanding of what took place during an interaction between Gregory and myself. Therefore I have no way of figuring out how to react or reply. This causes my confusion to compound his confusion and at times causes my response to be less than graciously caring. The caring is always there, but sometimes it is not as gracious as I would like it to be." 

Putting my feelings into words helps me better deal with the reality of any particular situation/or interaction and helps improve the response to any particular situation/interaction. Sometimes blinking and shaking my head in amazement helps me get through one of those types of interactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!