FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Poetry

In the next few posts, I will be quoting from and/or discussing a few of the ten poems in Roger Housden's Ten Poems to Change Your Life Again and Again 2007.

I have found great delight as well as comfort in poetry as a way of understanding and dealing with my emotional and intellectual reactions to the daily interactions with Gregory's diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease.

Very often, when I sit down to write about them, my words express themselves poetically. I read somewhere, wish I could acknowledge where, that poetry is as close to truth as one can get. The poet works painstakingly hard to select just the correct words and just the correct number of words to paint, yes paint, a picture of what he wants to express.

As a writer, I too lovingly struggle with this. If you have been following this blog and my writer's blog, you have seem some of my poetry and you might have found also some of my 6, 10, or 25 word stories. Telling a story in so few words, while called "Hint Fiction," is so close to writing poetry.

As a writer, I have become so obviously aware that other writers have written words in ways with which I could do no better. So I find that "quotations" from others are important to me. I mark them with a Post-it while reading then process them in writing (with citations.)

In the next few posts, it looks like I am combining all of this: quotations about poetry from others. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!