FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Its the little things...

It is the little things that do matter in helping to keep Gregory active, involved, respected, and loved. Letting him help as often as possible, even in little ways, helps give him purpose and the sense of sharing our daily life. It helps him to depend on me more when he knows I continue to depend on him. Always acknowledging my appreciation and saying "Thank You" even though I am thanking him about the same things each day and sometimes several times a day, gives feelings of love. Keeping an eye on what he still can do ... at least do today, and letting him do it, allows him to keep his self respect. Not correcting but rather "walking behind and fixing" is also helpful. Telling him "I love you" many times a day, touching his face or back, planting a kiss, all tell him that I am here and will be here to support him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!