FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Caregiver Affirmations

Caregiver Affirmations
by: Janet Edmunson

I will hold on to my passions, because they are the essence of who I am
I will give myself credit for staying strong despite being pushed to my limits 
I will give myself grace when I occasionally blow it
It’s perfectly normal to grieve even before my loved one dies

I will explore life’s adventures together
I will look for the gifts that only this type of tragedy can afford
I will let the love flow, even when all else is lost
I will expect that some people will find it difficult to visit my loved one.
That’s okay—it doesn’t mean that they’ve stopped caring.

I will make it easier to get through difficult times by creating traditions to memorialize my loved one
I will make meaning out of this disease

by Janet Edmunson, M.Ed. and author of
Finding Meaning with Charles: Caregiving with Love through a Degenerative Disease

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!