FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Breakfast Tea

Every now and then something happens that moves me to tears. Every morning Gregory makes his own breakfast. Every now and then Gregory gets confused in the process. This morning such an occurrence has moved me to tears.

"Oh shit!" comes Gregory from the kitchen.

"What's the problem?" I inquire sitting at my computer in the bedroom.

"My tea," comes the answer.

I go into the kitchen to see how I can help. Turns out he forgets to put a tea bag in his mug and this stops him cold. He remembers to set up his breakfast tray, his cereal and fruit are ready, the green mug sitting on the tray. He fills the electric kettle with water and switches it on. Boiling, the kettle turns itself off. This is where the confusion begins. Such confusion that I am not really sure myself what is going on.

"I forgot my tea. I guess I'll have to start over."

"But you just forgot to put a tea bag in you mug." He looks into the cereal cabinet for the answer. I open the tea cabinet, taking out a tea bag and putting it into his mug. I pick up the kettle, pouring the hot water into the mug. Explaining as I proceed.

"That's all there is to it. You don't have to start over. You just forgot to put the tea bag in your mug."

"Oh. OK. Thank you."


Every now and then something happens that moves me to tears. Every morning Gregory makes his own breakfast. Every now and then Gregory gets confused in the process. This morning such an occurrence has moved me to tears.

Gregory doesn't seem too upset by all this. Then why am I moved to tears? At the loss? At his confusion although he doesn't seem too bothered by it? At what it must feel like for him but in my imagination not his? At my fear? Tears are gone now. The day continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!