FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Grace

I was watching a series of three short videos for an Alzheimer's drug company that was conducting a survey as to the effectiveness of the videos in relating to caregivers. Two of the videos didn't really appeal to me. One was about a man talking about his father getting used to living with him. Wasn't much emotion there. Another one was about a woman who takes care of her mom now like her mom used to take care of her. Emotional but not my style.

The third I could relate to. The woman was saying that she was better able to have a good day with her mother when she herself was well rested, had a chance to exercise, and didn't feel rushed. I could relate to that. Then she quoted a friend of hers and I could really relate to the quote: "You do not have to care graciously, you just have to care." She responded saying, "I am not always gracious, but I do care!" I could identify with that.

My final comments to the drug company is that very few pictures and/or advertisements talking about dementia did they show married couples, usually it is a child taking care of a parent. And NEVER did I see a situation in which same sex partners were involved in this Alzheimer's journey.

Alzhemer's does not discriminate, it affects all people equally.

1 comment:

  1. i think the one you chose is so accurate and true, and the comment about same sex couples is relevant in everything

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!