FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Friday, September 24, 2010

One-Up-Man-Ship

Gregory and I were at Old Orchard today to run a few errands. I wanted a new black brief case to match my "artist in black wardrobe" for the team planning meetings of Michael's Museum at The Chicago Children's Museum on Navy Pier. I also needed a new charger for my iPhone and as any Appleophile knows, visiting the Apple Store is always a treat even if you do not need to buy anything. I also thought that it would be nice to have a few new shirts for the fall/winter season.

Still a fan of Ralph Lauren, we stopped in Macy's to see their selection of Polo shirts. I am in love with long sleeve Chambray, oxford cloth solids or flannel plaids. I guess I am still a "Polo Mystique" kind of guy. When I was teaching my "costume" consisted of one of a number of pair of kaki's hanging in a row in my closet and a Ralph Lauren flannel or Chambray or oxford cloth shirt.

My costume was so predictable that one year, to help celebrate my birthday, my students planned a party for me. Every one of them, with paper mustache attached under their nose, wore kaki slacks and a plaid flannel shirt. When my colleagues gave me a retirement party, all the teachers wore kakis and a Chambray shirt.

So there Gregory and I were in the dressing room and I was trying on shirts. Sadly to say, while I do worship that temple which is the body I live in, I have progressed from an XL to an XXL size shirt. I tried on a shirt and looking at myself in the mirror commented outloud, "God, I hate how big my belly is!"

This was where Gregory was able to one-up-manship me. He replied, "Well you have your problem (my stomach) and I have mine (Alzheimer.") We both got so tickled that we couldn't stop laughing. Marilyn, our sales lady (of the last thirty years or so) came through the open dressing room door to see what fun she was missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!