FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Surprise Me

Funny how the most unsuspected song in the most unsuspected place can be a reminder that you and your loved one are living with Alzheimer's Disease. Yesterday at the Skokie Theater, listening to Laura Freeman sing Surprise Me, written by Beckie Menzie and Cherie Coons, I was reminded of the joy and the sorrow of our life.


With Alzheimer's each day is a surprise, each interaction can be a surprise, sometimes each moment can surprise you. Then for moments or hours or if you are lucky for a full day, the disease disappears and things seem so normal and balanced. 


Sometimes the surprises can speak of joy and love and other times they can speak of sorrow and loss. While the smiles and laughter and kisses and magic remain, the joy remains. As they slowly disappear, and it becomes more difficult to "live out loud" as the lyrics tell, the sorrow looms larger.


But either way I hold on to the joy and love and as the lyrics say, "I will be with you, I will go with you." And we will be surprised together. 

• • •

SURPRISE ME
Lyrics by Cherie Coons.
Music by Beckie Menzie


Take the long way, by the fountain in the park. Surprise me.
Light a candle, whistle "Dancing in the Dark." Surprise me.
Bring me odd little gifts, a jar of honey, a picture of some
place we've been, or take me there again. Surprise me.


Skip the play-offs, learn a different party trick. Surprise me.
Take the day off, phone my office, say I'm sick. Surprise me.
And when love's in the air don't ask politely, just kiss me, believe me I'll know.
Come on, just let yourself go. Surprise me.


But never surprise me by losing your laugh,
or changing that wise loving smile.
Just show me your magic,
I've known it was there all the while.


Take us higher, climb a mountain, steal a cloud.
I'll go with you.
Light a fire, paint a sunset, live out loud!
I'll be with you.


We have nothing to fear but peace and quiet.
Let's bring on the thunder, the rush and the riot.
Let's make the news, surprise me.
What's there to lose, surprise me. 


Anyway you choose, surprise me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!