FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

4…5…6...

Today is July 6 and this morning G asked about an event that was on our computer calendar for July 4, two days ago. It had to do with the anniversary of friends. On the computer calendar we mark anniversaries and birthdays by entering one name in red (birthday) or two names in red (anniversary.) We have been doing this ever since Operating System 10 for the Mac was introduced many years ago.


So after I answered G's question I probed a little further to see if I could figure out why he was asking. I couldn't tell if he didn't know the date, if he thought it was the 4th, if he just wanted to know what the "red" was, or what.


In my questioning he wondered out loud, "How did it get to be 6?" He gestured towards the closet in the bedroom where his "Day-At-A-Glance" calendar lives so I knew what he was talking about. "Maybe you didn't tear off yesterday's page?" I replied. Sure enough that calendar was still on the 5th. But I am not sure what this had to do with the computer, the anniversary, or the date.


If this writing seems convoluted to you, I have done that on purpose so you could experience the "flush" that comes over me in these situations where communication seems to have arrived from the Twilight Zone. It serves as a slap in the face to remind me that out situation is far from normal and of what the future holds in store for me as less a life partner and more a caregiver. Gregory IS NOT crazy but sometimes our interactions are.


Another purpose of this writing is to point out how difficult even the most easy, repetitious, everyday, since the beginning of time activity can become. Overwhelming, complex, and confusing for both the person with Alzheimer's and for those people who care.


Excuse me, I have to stop writing now as G is confused (again) over how to make the bed. The good thing is that I know what he needs and tomorrow he will probably remember how to do it by himself, or maybe not.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Michael. Your friend, Jan Yourist, told me about you and G. She pointed me to your blog.

    So much love and kindness. The gentleness of a faithful heart. Strength to you, Michael. To both of you.

    I would like to add a link to your blog on my blog and facebook page, if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rochelle, Your lovely response is so welcome. It is always reinforcing to me when others recognize the love that exists between G and myself. Did Jan mention that we have been in our committed relationship for over 32 years? YES, you are more than welcome to add the link. Meanwhile I'll check out yours! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!