FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Friday, May 31, 2013

Picture This: A play in three acts with epilogue but no prologue

EPILOGUE:
The bedroom. Gregory sitting on the bench fully dressed except his shoes. Me sitting at my computer.

SCENE:
From my right to left - A) one foot with sock and shoe on, B) one shoe waiting, C) one foot with sock on. I would have loved to insert a photograph here but didn't want to embarrass Gregory by taking one.

ACT ONE;
I could tell that he was studying what to do next but I didn't want to jump in to help. While it pains me to see him "suffer through" figuring out what to do, I realize that it is best not to jump in too soon because that only confuses him more and frustrates me.

Back and forth he looks between point A, point B, and point C.

From my point of view I am freaked out. How could he not know what to do in such a simple, straight forward situation? Does he not know how to put on shoe number 2? Does he not see shoe number 2? Does he not see foot number 2? Does he not realize foot number 2 is ready for shoe number 2? Is he just staring at the items (feet and shoes and sox) and having nothing register? Is he waiting for something but not sure what? He seems to know something is "wrong" but doesn't know what or how to process the situation.

Back and forth he looks between point A, point B, and point C.

CURTAIN

ACT 2
Finally I get involved. (I cannot remember or share with you the prompts I used to try to help him. If I could it would seem like a Comedy of Errors getting more and more complicated until we are finally discussing the nature of a shoe and its purpose, the various types of shoes, the fine art of polishing a shoe, how to scrape dog shit off of the bottom of a shoe, etc. Sometimes these conversations seem like this and/or my teacher self takes over and I find myself inadvertently trying to teach him how to do the task at hand knowing full well that we are both past the point of no return.)

CURTAIN

ACT 3
Just when I am about to get up to put his shoe on his foot for him (I remained calm this time so if he isn't ... at least I am learning) when he slips his foot into the shoe, comments, "That was easy." and stands up and leaves the room. CURTAIN

PROLOGUE: None! What can I say? An empty stage.

CURTAIN





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!