FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Saturday, May 25, 2013

In addition ...

In a previous post I discussed an interesting phenomenon in which Gregory is more comfortable at times to go to Ken, his companion, for help than he is to come to me.

In that post I had wanted to, but forgot to mention that it seems very much like when a child goes to one parent with a question, doesn't like the answer, and so goes to the other parent to see if they can get a different answer. That is probably the reason that eventually when the child asks the mother a question, she replies, "Go to your father," and when the child asks the father a question, he replies, "Go to your mother."

Another interesting thing happened when we were discussing my taking Gregory to the swimming pool after Ken leaves us. I have slowly been "dropping pins" about Ken's leaving for Vanderbilt to continue his studies in psychology so that when he finally has left, Gregory will have had a chance to deal with the leaving.

When I dropped the "pin" the other day, Gregory looked concerned, worried, frightened? I asked what was the matter. "You'll take me swimming?" he replied. "Oh."

"Yes. I'll help you begin and then while you swim I'll do the hot tub or something." Gregory's worried face continued. "Do you want me to be there while you swim?"

Both Gregory and Ken agreed that Greg swims alone once in the pool and doesn't need assistance. Finally, Gregory said (or stumbled,) "Well ... then ... you'll have to come and be there. And Ken will help." In other words, Gregory wanted Ken to show me what to do to help Gregory when he goes swimming. Ironic since I "trained" Ken on what to do for Gregory. I gently reminded him of this, said that we all three could go down a few times, and perhaps that would make the transition easier.

Gregory liked this. He did comment, "You did?" in response to my comment about having shown Ken the swimming procedures. Ken was very supportive and added, "Yep, Michael showed me and I'll show him back. I am sure there won't be any problem.


CLICK HERE to see previous post. Opens in a new window.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!