FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

An Interesting Phenomenon

I have been noticing an interesting phenomenon with Ken's living with us. When Gregory needs help with some things, he goes to Ken for that help. I do not mind but have been observing and have learned a few lessons based on my observations.

Ken is always, and I mean always patient with Gregory. I am not.

Ken is always fast on the ready to help or do something for Gregory while often I will make him figure things out by himself.

Ken will be supportive and positive while at times I become angry, frustrated, concerned, worried for the future based on an imagined, new, or periodic failure on Gregory's part.

I do not want to seem judgmental towards Ken or myself, just observant of the differences. The lesson here, however, is that Gregory TRUSTS Ken to deal with some things that he doesn't TRUST me to deal with.

For example, after hundreds of times helping or instructing Gregory on how to put on his "Medic-Alert" necklace, now I just tell him, "Just do what you can, it doesn't matter." Ken still spends the time trying to verbally tell Gregory how to put on the necklace. Other times I just take it out of Gregory's hand and put it on for him. I have never seen Ken do this.

My very "in touch niece" Colleen once drew an understanding about cats and how they will continually come back to you based on the MARGIN OF TRUST you allow them. You can discipline them or step on their tail accidentally, but they will still come to you to get pet and will purr and love you.

For example, you can hold them firmly, but when they really, really want to get down and when they show you this with their squirming, you put them down. The trust continues. You may swat the cat when it is chewing on a book in your library, but they still trust you. If you swat them all the time, however, or continue to hold them against their will, the trust margin decreases.

So my lesson with observing Ken and Gregory's interactions is that I need to be very careful not to extinguish that margin of trust which Gregory has for me, my intentions, my being here to help. The last thing I would want to do is inadvertently cause him to be afraid to come to me for help.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!