FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

WARNING: Explicit Scatology

Dear J,

Thanks for your thoughts. Things have been so hectic that I haven't even had five minutes alone in which to sit down for our phone chat. Friday night G had some kind of virus (don't think it was food poisoning) had the runs and has given me quite a run since.

Shit himself, shit the bed all night. Luckily I had a package of hospital type bed squares with absorbent on one side and plastic on the other.

Slept most of Saturday in between me having having to clean him up. After some toast, tea, and yogurt he shit on both of us as he stood in the middle of the kitchen saying, "Oh oh, Oh oh." I didn't know where to start to clean up the mess.

I have started having him sit on the pot every hour on the hour. Have caught most of the accidents. His ass is so raw that it hurts to look at and I am applying medicated cream.

Woke him up through the night and again caught most of the accidents. But toilet paper skills were sadly lacking and that paired with communication deficiencies made it an almost impossible situation.

Today is Sunday and he is still messing his pants. We will have another binding banana and oatmeal for breakfast and see what the day brings.

All this with the inability to wipe his own ass let alone communicate his needs or understand my questions. So like a baby flailing in its poop, that is what I am dealing with.

When he is sitting in one place he still looks and feels like Gregory. But at least with this weekend's illness, none of the Gregory I know is here with me.

I know your comment "You are not alone." means you empathize with me and wish you were here to support me but guess what, I am alone. And numb. Beware the IDES of MARCH.

And Emma decided to throw up twice. At least she did it in the middle of the bathroom tile so the grout is safe as is the bedroom rug. A bit of humor.

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!