FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

On Vacation



Time to get up. I stay in bed a little longer because he usually takes about a half an hour to get his bathrooming completed.

He comes back to say, I need help with knobs and things.

You’re not taking a shower now are you? 

No. I need light.

Why don’t you go back and try to figure out how to turn the light on by yourself?

He gets mad. Fuck You! (I think this is a first.) Why are you treating me like this? He goes back into the bathroom, no light, and sits on the toilet to move his bowels. 

Hate talking about this as I have always said that one one way to stay young is to never to talk about your bowels and here I am talking about bowels … well at least not my own. Lately he has begun to forget, while sitting on the pot, if he wee’ed, if he went, if he wiped.

Finally I show him how to turn on the light. Mention that he seems to be at an all time low. Say I hate treating him like an invalid. Say that after four days in the same hotel room I would think he would know how to turn on the light. Say that I can help him brush his teeth if he would like.

He spends an inordinate amount of time showering (after I got the water running,) brushing his teeth, cleaning up. He isn’t able to see the deodorant which is on the counter in front of him. He looks at the travel soap dish and wonders aloud where the top is, until he taps it and realizes that the lid is on, it’s just clear. He is not sure where to rehang his wash cloth.

I help him select his clothes and suggest a few times how to dress. You might want to put your pants on before your shoes. I continue typing a blog avoiding dispair when sitting on the side of the bed he comments, “You know … I think … it has to do … with … fear … or something. 

Of course I melt. I see he is near tears and go over to him and hug him close. He begins to cry. I sing-song to him, “You have nothing to fear. I am here to protect you. I will never let anything happen to you. I will take care of you. But I WILL challenge you now and then and I won’t always be nice to you. And we laugh. And the crisis has passed for both of us. And he says he isn’t afraid anymore. And I hold back tears through most of breakfast. 

My thinking is that he may have been afraid of being in a strange place or at having such problems with everyday activities but I suspect that his fear was at angering me, causing me to be upset, and possibly fearing loss of my love. Perhaps it was fear, very much like a child’s fear when he has upset a parent, of  having love withdrawn as punishment.

Which caused me to be upset. I’ll try harder. This vacation so far has not proved to be a vacation, at least not for me. Welcome to Circle World.



1 comment:

  1. I don't know what to comment about this post to you. So I'll just tell you how much I love you and Gregory. I care deeply about everything you write about and appreciate your explaining things the way you do. I care very much about what you are going through and of course how Gregory feels dealing with his situation that he faces. I think you and your love for Gregory is extraordinary. My prayer every day for you is that when you look at yourself in the mirror you see what those who love you see.
    Well, I guess I did have something to comment! : )
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!