FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Euphemistic But True

euphemism |ˈyoōfəˌmizəm|nouna mild or indirect word or expression substituted for one considered to be too harsh or blunt when referring to something unpleasant or embarrassing.
• • •
Was talking on the telephone with Jr today and he asked how Gregory was doing. I couldn't talk because G was within hearing range. So I just answered, "Right."
Jr continued "feeling out" how G was doing and wondered, "When Gregory seems to be having a period of difficulties, do they get better or stay at the low point?" 
My reply was, "Right."
I was thinking to myself that in the "ebb and flow" of Gregory's cognitive abilities (thank God - if there is one - his physical abilities have not suffered) it is usually "ebb."
Jr then commented that last time he visited, he noticed that, "Gregory wasn't as available as the visit before."
I said, "Right."
Well, without much actual discussion, MJr and I had a nice conversation and two points came out of it for me.
First, while euphemistic, "Not being as available" is a nice way of saying that Gregory's cognitive abilities continue to decline. He still has the cognitive abilities, he just cannot make them available when he need to use them.
Second, I wish that my conversations with Gregory could be as informative as the one I just had with Jr. I am thinking, "Right?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!