FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Monday, September 17, 2012

Researchers and Their Studies


Aaron, a researcher and doctoral student who has "adopted Gregory and me" as part of his dissertation on care giving couples writes: "I've been keeping up with the blog. Sounds like things continue to be interesting, challenging, frustrating, sad, loving, good, bad, all that this journey is -- and you two keep moving through it with typical M&G grace. I look forward to being able to catch up in person sometime soon."

I replied: "Your descriptors of G and my journey according to your keeping up with my BLOG almost make what we are going through seem romantic. I do not mean to be sarcastic but I have felt so sad, and heavy lately with no where to turn for escape. I have been struggling with both arm's rotator cuffs being "out." No precipitating cause so I kiddingly call it the "Atlas Syndrow."

"I have quickly jumped on getting them back into working order by acupuncture, massage, physical therapy, exercises, alternating cold and hot, homeopathic creams, and pills under my tongue. I am feeling better but everyone tells me it will be a long, slow process. I am not giving up. I am treating it like a "bad cold" which I am taking care of and which eventually will go away.

"But it has been hard "Keeping Calm and Carrying On" for both of us when I feel so functionally limited. G continue to not know the front from the back of his underwear, the microwave from the refrigerator, yes from no. We have been enjoying may movies at home, some theater out, my cooking delicious meals, and now we will go have a slice of sour cherry pie just out of the oven. Which you were here to share it with us.

"Hope you are being "a good boy" and doing what you need to do to get your studies completed with a Dr. added on the front. Take care. When we get close to the 25 or 26 we can make more detailed plans,

We both really enjoy our time with Aaron. He is a good hearted person and a good listener besides a good cook. I have always said that being part of a research study (and we have been through three or four by now.) It is a good experience because the researcher pays attention to Gregory and causes me to think through the nature of and lessons learned from our journey. Also, the researcher actually wants to hear what I have to say without my worrying about boring him or her. Honestly, what we say might help others, but really we benefit the most and feel selfish about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!