FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Whose Emotions Are These Anyway!

Gregory is pretty even with his emotions. He is more easily excited or angry about things but still handles these emotions appropriately. He cries easily and laughs easily. Sometimes he feels like my "little boy" and I love him for it.


Sometimes he will say, "I just don't feel right" and I take that to mean he might be out of sorts. I ask him if he wants to talk about it (euphemistically since he really can't "talk" about things anymore") to show him I care.


I make a habit of touching him as often and as much as I can. I put my hand on his knee, I hold his hand, I caress his face with my open palm like his mother used to do. I feel that keeping in touch in this way also then comes in handy when he is upset. 


Of course when he is out of sorts it affects my emotions but I am able to keep "up" and optimistic and supportive to help offset his downs.


The thing that bothers me more is how my emotions affect him. When I am impatient, angry, frustrated, confused, out of control, rarely raging ... I am sure that my facial and body language communicate my emotions to him and that in turn has an effect on him.


I am working on being better able not so much to hide my emotions but to keep them in tow and find other ways to deal with our day to day interaction difficulties. 

2 comments:

  1. Very nice input indeed. I like the way you discuss your emotions and the way to handle it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!