FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Arising to Panic

We have gotten used to arising in panic.
Late hours of the night or wee hours of the morning.
"There. Look. What is that?"
"Nothing, you are just dreaming. Nothing to worry about. Go back to sleep."
"Are you sure. Are you sure."
"Yes, everything is OK," stroking his cheek, holding his hand.
We both settle down and fall back to sleep.

In the beginning these events used to disturb me and I could not get back to sleep. Now they have become expected and for some reason that makes them easier with which to deal.

Telling Gregory that "You're only dreaming" is easier and kinder than addressing the fact that he has begun to hallucinate. I am not sure what he is seeing, and to him it is real ... but I can be calm and assure him that everything is under control. He is able to trust me and fall back asleep.

There is the possibility that he wakes and is not able to separate his dream from reality. If this is the case we may not have hallucination but something none-the-less real for him. Again, calm support and comforting does the trick.

More difficult, but still now expected and therefore tolerable, is when he knocks an imaginary something off my sleeping shoulder bringing me fully awake quickly. Sometimes picking something out of my hair is either a service or an hallucination, but either way I react calmly.

To me it is the unexpected and unknown that freaks me out. Once I can rely on something, even if it isn't pretty, I can better deal with it. Once I can begin, at least, to understand what is happening or what might be going on in his mind, I can better deal with it.

A third aspect in better dealing is to not allow myself to worry about the future. I know it will get worse. I know the "rules" and "understandings" will change, but that is tomorrow. Tonight I'll just get back to sleep, holding my honey's hand, and sending him thoughts of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!