FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Monday, June 25, 2012

Pill Box

My friend Pat send a humorous e-mail that read: 


"Hi. Have you ever verified what day of the week it is by the compartment on your vitamin box?
 P


I just replied with something like: "Sounds like a fun series of silly questions!"


Actually didn't want to go into detail for her (eventually did) but the "daily pillbox" has a sad connotation for me. 


In the beginning, Gregory used to take his pills, then he started using a pillbox and would set four of them up at the beginning of the month (four for AM and four for PM.)


Eventually I had to make a list of what went into the AM's and what went into the PM's.


Then I realized, what he was putting in the pillboxes was not consistent so I took over filling them at the beginning of each month. 


Soon, every morning and every evening he was confirming, "Is today the 'W'?" You can imagine how confusing the "T" and "S" were. After a while of this I figured out that the association with "W" and "Wednesday" (and all the others as well) was gone.


The pillbox, if you can imagine, no longer had a reference or association or connection or purpose in relation to what day of the week it happened to be.


Now we have two bowls. I empty the night's pills out of the pillbox into the small bowl and put it next to the water on his nightstand. I put the next day's pills in another small bowl and put that bowl out by his breakfast area.


For now, at least, the bowls get back to the bathroom to be used the next day. I suspect at some point I will have to begin searching for the bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!