FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Followup: Gregory Trying to Live in My World

Yesterday afternoon, my hand covered in potting soil, I asked Gregory to get me a garbage bag. He didn't know what to do. I got the bag myself. "This is a garbage bag," I said. "Oh, thank you," he said.

Last evening before going to see Camelot, we went out for a sandwich. I put an unwrapped sandwich in front of him and one in from of me. He pointed at his sandwich and asked, "Is this one for me?" "Yes." He thanked me.

Last night at the performance, Gregory forgot how to use the urinal. I tried to show him (in front of three other men at the other urinals and a long line behind us.) I finally took him into a stall, helped him lower his pants, made sure he was aiming correctly, and said, "Go." He thanked me.

Today getting dressed, Gregory forgot how to secure his belt. I showed him. He thanked me.

On our way out of the door to the car Gregory picked up his sunglasses. I explained, "You don't have to take those. You have a pair of sunglasses in the car." "Oh, OK." I turned off the lights and we left. Once in the car I noticed he still had the sunglasses that were in his hand. "We always keep a pair in the car for you," I reminded. He thanked me.

In the car I asked, "Are you hungry?" "Yes, very," was his answer. I handed him an energy bar and he replied, "I don't need that right now." He thanked me for bringing it.

This afternoon at a neighborhood carnival, Gregory forgot how to eat a Corn Dog. I explained, "Pick the dog up by the stick and bite the other end." He proceeded to pull the stick out of the hotdog. I put it back in and demonstrated how to eat a corn dog. He thanked me.

These are just a small percentage of the interactions gone awry over the last two days. There is one thing is am very grateful for. Can you guess? He thanked me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!