FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Still I behave...

Still I behave as though Gregory does not have Alzheimer's. I get angry when he gets dumb. I take offense. I refuse to believe. I am rude and disrespectful. Maybe today I will change.

Today he wasn't able to "Please get me a kitchen towel from the guests bathroom." He confused the difference between "Yuck" garbage and "Recyle" garbage again. He tried to grab the hot cookie pan thinking he was helping. Couldn't look at a Lego block pattern, find the piece, and put it in place. Uses "him" when he means "her." Uses his hands more and more to facilitate his knife and fork. He forgot the steps involved in drying the dishes. Etc, etc, etc.

I did two things correctly today.

When he couldn't do the Lego blocks, I sat down next him and did them myself talking through each step. Later he said he had fun helping with the Legos.

We made Gregory's Great Grandma Barbara's Christmas Cookies this afternoon. He  "remembered" them a week or so ago (talking around them until I was able to guess what he was talking about) and asked if we couldn't make them this year.

I bought the ingredients, laid out the cookie trays. I read the recipe and figured out the directions. I measured. I boiled. I sifted. I added ingredients. He mixed the dough. I formed the cookie balls. I pressed them with a glass. I put them in the oven. I timed them. I took them out and let them cool. I put them on the cooling rack. I piled the cool cookies on one tray. I put them in sealed container with sliced apples to cure until Christmas. I cleaned up after. He dried the clean items (after I talked him through how to dry.) WE had a fun time. I am tired. He is happy.

1 comment:

  1. Well put, well said, well meant, well felt.
    CJP

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!