FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Monday, March 16, 2015

My Chance to Be a Partial Full Time Caregiver Again

Manny had been out with a bad cold since Sunday which means that I have been covering lunch and dinner for Gregory. I arrive at Lieberman by 11:00 and leave by 6:00 or 7:00.

The time I spend with him is not strenuous but it is exhausting. I cannot imagine the energy and stamina that the RCAs (Resident Care Associate) have to care for their ten charges while I only have one.

But exhaustion aside, I have enjoyed my extended stays with Gregory. Besides helping him with his meals, I have brushed his teeth, given him shaves, combed his hair, massaged his back, watered his plants, refilled his refrigerator, and reorganized some of his dresser drawers, told him multiple times "I love you," fed him cookies and pretzel rods, helped him with copious glasses of water, watched his South Pacific DVD and several cooking shows (he loves both of these the most,) and more.

At his level of ability, at his level of functioning, at his level of intellect ... I love him and enjoy being with him.

Sunday at Lieberman, a Piano Recital of 20 young pianists


Gregory was moved by several of the young performers

I added some new flowers to the top shelf of Gregory's window sill. Do you think I over did it? The plants on the bottom shelf have been there for several months.

All new green plants on the self next to a picture of Julia Child. Every now and then Gregory catches sight of the picture and gets joyful. I then retell the story of how she and he lived in the same neighborhood in Boston and shopped at the same butcher shop. When they were both at the shop they would exchange nicities, weather talk, and discuss the various cuts of beef and what they were going to do with them. She listened to his menus as closely as he listened to hers!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Michael,

    Your piece about full time caregiving and the mixtures of the plants on the window brought back such memories of LD and my experience with him. I also remember so well the solution you describe in the last section.

    Love and hugs to you both,
    BD

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!