FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Petrie Dish

Petri dish (sometimes spelled "Petrie dish" and alternatively known as a Petri plate or cell-culture dish), named after the German bacteriologist Julius Richard Petri, is a shallow cylindrical glass or plastic lidded dish that biologists use to culturecells – such as bacteria – or small mosses.

I have noticed that this year I have been getting ill more often. Upper respiratory, flue,colds, just not feeling up to par.

My niece Colleen, noting that visiting Lieberman Center is kind of like living in a Petrie Dish, suggested I start using Kiefer, a pro-biotic beverage. Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are good for your health, especially your digestive system.

We usually think of bacteria as something that causes diseases.  But your body is full of bacteria, both good and bad. Probiotics are often called "good" or "helpful" bacteria because they help keep your gut healthy.

In some ways she may have had an important insight. When at Lieberman I am with a population of residents who are easily prone to getting ill due to their age and their stage of dementia related diseases.

I am very hands on with my "new family" as I greet them, help them at meal time, push a wheel chair around the corner to the TV room, smother Gregory with kisses . I try to sanitize when I leave but what about all that time I am there?

I remember that when I began teaching, I was ill most of the first year because of the "petrie dish" that is a classroom filled with 25+ children.

THANKS COLLEEN. You are appreciated!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!