FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Friday, November 6, 2015

Aging vs Dementia vs Life

Periodically I post comments on my friend Kate in Australia's blog and then post them here as well. I do this because I find that I have shared something that might be important to share with you as well.

Kate, Kate, Kate,

Not easy. Your post's ending shows you still have your sense of humor. Very important to keep that:-) 

I personally believe, based on my observations of Gregory and on my own aging brain and memory (although I do not believe that I am experiencing Dementia but did notice more forgetting begin since I was 40 - thirty years ago,) that when I fight the loss of memory, fight the inability to recall pieces of information, am under a lot of stress, or am tired ... it gets worse. When I relax and release it, I have an easier time. So differentiating between your public self and the ability to relax at home is good.

Since both Gregory and I were 40, we invented what we called, "The Noun Disease." When we had trouble recalling a proper noun or someone's name we just announced "NOUN" and keep on with the sentence. Sometimes it would come later, sometimes the other person would substitute the noun, and sometimes it didn't matter.

In many ways there is so much of my past that I do not (or have chosen not to) remember. For the most part that doesn't matter. I am not trying to compare myself to you but in some ways there are similarities to "getting older" and "having dementia." We both know which one we would choose if we could.

Hang in there (as I picture that famous poster of the cat hanging from the window sill by its toenails!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!