FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Thursday, May 1, 2014

A Telephone Call

I was a little leery of having a friend visit Gregory for the first time without me helping to guide the experience but I was proven wrong. LB assured me she had lots of experience with nursing homes and dementia and as long as she was in the area she really wanted to pay Gregory a visit. I was home ill and couldn't join her but "gave her permission" to go ahead if she was willing to take the risk.

I called to check on how the visit went and told Gregory's day helper  that I would not be coming in because I was not feeling well. The report back from Manny was that Gregory was so happy to see LB, was more alert and responsive and that they had a long animated conversation (all be it truncated and alzheimered) more so then he has ever seen.

I was very pleased to hear this. Manny then asked if I wanted to talk to Gregory on the cell phone. Usually I hesitate to have people talk about me when I am not visiting Gregory assuming he is unaware of my not being there until he sees me next. But I said, "Sure."

It took Gregory just a few seconds to get the hang of talking on the phone with me. I told him I wasn't coming to visit. "Oh, OK." I do not feel well. "Oh no." But I am OK and I will see you tomorrow. "Wonderful. " I love you. "I love you." Bye. "Bye."

It was a short and simple conversation but wonderful for me to have had that experience over the phone. Many lessons learned as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!