FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Monday, October 21, 2013

A Double Header Day

Post 2 of 2 (At least so far today.)

After a lovely early morning at the Botanic Garden with our friend Jake; we dropped Jake at home, did a few errands, and finally arrived home ourselves. I was tired and possibly Gregory was over tired.

I got out of the parked car and went to the trunk to collect our belongings. I walked away from the car, as I sometimes do, as Gregory was taking a little longer than usual to get himself out of the car.

I looked back and realized he had forgotten to unfasten his seat belt and was trying (his not comprehending why the difficulty) to get out of the car.

I decided that this was an occasion for me to wait and to give him the time and space to figure out how to get himself unbelted. Things quickly got more complicated. He slipped his arm from under the belt without unfastening it and tried again to get out of the car. Next he took his gloves out of his pocket and tried again. Next his ear muffs and finally his scarf before he successfully got himself partially out of his coat while still restrained.

By now he had twisted himself so badly that I am not sure he would ever have gotten out by himself but I decided I needed to wait until he realized the trouble he was in and asked for my help. I stood by patiently with a gentle look on my face but he didn't notice, or look at me or even realize even, I believe, that I was standing there ready to help.

He didn't panic or get overly frustrated so I held my ground, waiting. Finally he looked up and registered that I was there. "I'm working on it." he said.

"I will be happy to help" I replied, "just ask ... 'Michael I need some help.'"

"I need some help," came the echo. So I put the parcels I was holding on the hood and proceeded to help him. He was so badly wrapped up in belt, scarf, coat, etc that it took me a while to get him unwrapped. And I had to force his body uncomfortably through this line and over that line and around the other. He was a little panicked by now and fought me a little. I had to calm him down and proceed.

By the time we were done, it felt like I almost had to tip him on his head while he was hanging out the car door but finally WE were free from restraint.

"You forgot to unfasten the belt before you got out," I by force of habit said. And due to his disability, I am sure my comment made no difference to him. We proceeded up the stairs to the condo. He had a drink of water and took a nap as did I.

Another lovely day on a lovely outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!