FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Companion Report #2 by K.C.


It’s been approximately 12 months since I first met Greg and his symptoms seem to be gradually getting worse.  Below are some changes I’ve noticed in Greg, as well as things that still seem to remain the same.  I should note, however, that my observations are highly subjective.

Things that seem to have changed:

Greg’s capability of using words has declined slightly. Words do not come out as he wishes, and he frequently makes mistakes even when they do come out.  Sometimes, the word itself is correct, but it is not the right choice.  For example, when I went painting with him, he said “red” looking at “blue”, and this happened a number of times.  Other times, he struggles saying words.  For instance, he said  “pint, pinkle…” when he meant to say “pink”.  His struggle for words is not anything new, but it seems to me that the frequency has slightly increased. 

He needs more assistance in everyday life activities (getting dressed, preparing lunch, cleaning up, etc.).  He gets confused, disoriented, and even simple tasks can tire him out.

It seems like his hands shake more often than before.  This is especially noticeable when he is trying to bring food or drink to his mouth.

His dependence on me has increased.  This has to do with him needing more help, but also his feeling more comfortable around me.  For example, he might tell me “you do it!” when I’m trying to explain how to put on his scarf before we go out.

He might get tired more easily than before.  After we go for a walk, it seems like we always speak about how tired we are. 

Some routines he had little trouble with several months ago are getting more difficult for him.  I was surprised when he asked me to make his lunch for the first time.  He used to put together a nice salad for himself, but now it seems as though he lacks the confidence to do so.  However, I would suggest that his forgetfulness has not happened over night, and it seems to do with how long it has been since he last made lunch.  Apparently, it had been quite some time since he last made his salad, which may play a role in why he forgot how to do it.  

Things that seem to remain the same:

I have never noticed any changes in his personality.  He also does not have mood swings either, and he is still the same Greg that I know.

I have never noticed Greg hallucinating.  His sense of smell, sight, hearing, still remains the same.  Perhaps delusion is not the right word, but there are certain things Greg believes, which are unrealistic.  For example, he believes that Meryl Streep lives near by (I haven’t checked whether this is true or not, but seems unlikely).  I’ve heard this a number of times from Greg.

Memories from the distant past seem to remain pretty much the same. 

He can still sympathize and understand what others are feeling.  For example, when I was talking to Michael about how a package sent from Japan was stolen, Greg knew how upset I was and he sympathized appropriately.  

Although Greg sometimes forgets to flush the toilet, I’ve never helped him use the bathroom.  He goes to the bathroom when he wants, and he has never asked for help.

Although he doesn't remember people’s names, he still recognizes them. Occasionally, we bump into somebody we know—or somebody he knows, but he always recognizes them, which is a good sign.

We can still communicate even though he cannot express what he wants to say perfectly.

His walking speed has not changed, and he has no problem swimming.

I have not noticed any decline in his appetite, and he still eats quite a lot.

Although I do not know how much he understands what he reads in the newspaper, he still sits down and reads it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!